Tjapukai Indigenous Culture Experience and Palm Cove Day Trip from Cairns
On this day trip from Cairns, spend the morning exploring the rich history of Australian Indigenous culture, and enjoy the afternoon relaxing at the beach. You'll have the opportunity to join Tjapukai dancers in a 'corroboree' ceremony and participate in a fire-making ceremony, plus learn how to throw spears or boomerangs from the experts. Gain insight into the gathering and cooking of bush foods, and watch the Torres Strait Islanders share their vibrant and colorful culture with a dance performance.Then enjoy the tropical paradise of Palm Cove, which offers a wide range of facilities including a swimming enclosure, picnic/BBQ areas, a seafront jetty, fine dining restaurants, cafes, spa/massage services, and water sports.
Your day trip begins with pickup from your accommodation in Cairns. Head north, passing through sugarcane fields in the shadow of the Kuranda Rage, and arrive at Tjapukai for your exploration of Australian Indigenous culture.
Your activity-packed experience starts with welcome face painting, followed by educational presentations the Art of My People and the History and Heroes Journey. Watch a Bayngga traditional cooking demonstration, and then enjoy a Tjapukai dance performance before a bush food and medicine presentation. Listen to the sounds of the didgeridoo, watch a hunting and weapon demonstration, and participate in boomerang and spear throwing, if you wish. Finally watch a performance of Torres Strait Island dancers.
Then make the drive to Palm Cove, where you have free time to enjoy the beach however you wish until you're picked up for the drive back to Cairns.
Optional things to do in Palm Cove include:
- Walk for miles along the white sandy beach.
- Take a swim in the patrolled swimming enclosure.
- Check out locals fishing along the seafront jetty.
- Have coffee or a leisurely lunch at one of the many restaurants and cafes along the waterfront esplanade (own expense).
- Enjoy cool drinks at one of the fully licensed bars (own expense).
- Rent a kayak or Jet Ski; paddle out and around Double Island and 'Scouts Hat' Islands located just offshore (own expense).